Specialized Academic Council D 26.554.0 for the defense of theses for obtaining the scientific degree of the doctor of medical and biological sciences in the specialty 14.02.01 - "Occupational Health and Occupational Pathology" at the State Institution "Kundiiev Institute of Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine" has been in operation for over 40 years (since July 1976). For the whole period of the Council's work more than 90 doctoral and 300 candidate's theses were defended.
At present, the Specialized Academic Council works in accordance with the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated January 28, 2017, No. 1714, following the decision of the Attestation Board of the Ministry of Health (until December 28, 2020).
The leading specialists in occupational health and occupational pathology, physiology, toxicology from other research institutions are involved in the work of the Specialized Council, in particular: the State Scientific Center of the Radiation Medicine of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, the State University "Bohomolets Institute of Physiology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine", State Enterprise" Scientific Center for Preventive Toxicology, Food and Chemical Safety named after L.I.Medved of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine ", State Enterprise" Ukrainian Research Institute of Transport Medicine of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine ", National Medical University named after. O.O. Bohomolets of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education named after P.L. Shupik of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine.
The Specialized Academic Council includes 17 Doctors of science, including 1 Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (M.S. Veselovsky), 1 Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (I.M. Trakhtenberg), 2 Academicians of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine (I.M. Trakhtenberg, O P. Yavorovsky), 3 Corresponding Members of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine (V.I. Chernyuk, A.M. Nahornaya, A.V. Basanets).
Theses defended in the Special Council are devoted to solving current problems of occupational health and occupational diseases in Ukraine, in particular:
- Scientific substantiation and development of the medical care system for the working population of Ukraine in modern conditions.
- Establishing regularities of the influence of physical factors of the work environment (noise, lighting, microclimate) on the health of workers and prevention of their adverse effects.
- Studying peculiarities of pathogenesis and mechanisms of toxic influence of chemicals (heavy metals, drugs) on the human body for the purpose of their hygienic regulation for the air of the working zone.
- Risk assessment, definition of molecular-genetic markers, clinical features, diagnostics and development of preventive maintenance of the work environment and occupational pathology (occupational cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, eye diseases, hearing diseases, etc.).
- Research of psychophysiological characteristics and mechanisms of nervous-emotional stress, prevention of fatigue in people of mental work.
The results of the dissertation research that have been protected are implemented at the state and branch level in Ukraine; there have been adopted the relevant legislative acts, the Government's decisions and other regulatory documents, approved a number of methodological, instructional, information and reference documents (methodological recommendations and informational letters, sanitary rules, standards, textbooks, manuals, etc.).
Theoretical developments and practical proposals of dissertation papers are reflected in the author's certificates on inventions and patents of Ukraine on the utility model.
The Special Council of the Institute in its work is constantly guided by the interests of the development of medical science in Ukraine, operates in accordance with the existing state normative documents of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine regarding the certification of the scientific staff.